What is a backup?
A backup is a copy of your website stored within a file on your computer or on an external hard drive. You can take a backup with UpdraftPlus. Therefore you can be confident that your website is safe if the live site ever crashed.
Why backup with Updraft?
There are 4 reasons why you want to take a backup with updraftPlus. . .
- Have external files of your website so if your website ever crashed you are able to bring it back.
- Obtain peace of mind and not rely on your hosting provider to keep backup files.
- Be able to regenerate a previous site if you make an edit you do not like.
- To protect yourself against any issues that may go wrong with your hosting provider.
How to take a backup with UpdraftPlus
Now that we know what and why we need to be using updraftPlus to take backups. I will be showing you step by step how to perform a backup properly and easily.
1 . Download the UpdraftPlus plugin inside of WordPress click INSTALL NOW then ACTIVATE
2. Open the UpdraftPlus plugin by navigating to settings then to UpdraftPlus backups . You will then click the blue BACKUP NOW button.
3. A box will appear. Check the box to include the database and files in your backup. Then click the BACKUP NOW button.
4. You will then see the most recent backup show up at the bottom of the page with DATE, BACKUP DATA, AND ACTIONS. Then you will select DATABASE – PLUGINS-THEMES- UPLOADS AND OTHERS. You will see multiple other bars show up above the list with the option to download to the computer. You will select DOWNLOAD TO COMPUTER on each of the bars and will be able to save those documents in the folder of your choice. Taking a backup with UpdraftPlus may seem complicated. Therefore I have numbered the steps below.
UpdraftPlus is a key tool for a healthy website. Make sure to take backups frequently to protect your hard work.